UPDATE: OUR CONTEST IS EXTENDED UNTIL OCTOBER 1.
The Liar publishes emerging and established artists from Canada and beyond.
The Liar is an annual anthology edited by Capilano University students. Living in the rupture between the personal and the political, our editors publish provocative, powerful collections of fiction, poetry, art, drama and more that explore the intersectional complexities of our world.
Our 2022 Writing Contest is now open to students of Capilano University! There is no theme; we only ask for your best writing and design.
THE WINNER FOR BEST DESIGN IS $500 AND WILL BE ON THE COVER OF THE LIAR. THE WINNER FOR BEST WRITING WILL WIN $500 AND WILL APPEAR ON OUR WEBSITE AND IN THE PRINT JOURNAL.
General submissions are open to students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members living in Vancouver/the Lower Mainland/the unceded territories of the Coast Salish First Nations. We can't wait to read your work! The deadline for general submissions is Oct. 1, 2022
Visit us online at https://theliar.capilanou.ca/
CONTEST EXTENDED UNTIL OCTOBER 1.
This contest is to find the winning cover of the 2022-23 issue of The Liar.
This contest is only open to currently enrolled students of Capilano University. Please include your active student number and your CapU email address with your entry. Do not include your name on any entry as they will be judged blind.
Only two entries per student please.
The winner receives $500 and will appear on the cover of the 2022 issue. Prize money is provided by Capilano University's Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
All submissions will be considered as artwork forThe Liar in print and online.
Please submit .jpg files only.
CONTEST EXTENDED UNTIL OCTOBER 1.
This contest seeks the best creative writing from the Capilano University community, in any genre. The winner will be awarded $500.
This contest is only open to current Capilano University students. Please enter your active student number with your submission, as well as your Capilano U email address.
Do not include your name on your submission. The entries will be judged blind.
You may submit work in any genre-- poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, drama or hybrid forms.
The word count limit is 2000 words. You may only submit two entries per student.
Please provide a content warning if your work may be triggering to our readers.
All submissions will be considered for publication in The Liar. We look forward to reading your work!
- Any genre of writing welcome, on any theme. We'd love to read your work.
- Students, please include your Capilano U email address and student number. For general submissions, community members from the Lower Mainland/Vancouver (the unceded territory of the Coast Salish First Nations) are also welcome to submit! Please provide your address as proof of residency
- Please type all written submissions and only use .doc, .docx or .pdf formats.
- We only publish new and unpublished work.
- We accept simultaneous submissions. If your work is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw using the submittable program.
- We encourage submissions from intersectional identities and marginalized groups such as writers of colour, writers with disabilities, LGBTQ+, low-income writers, and indigenous writers. Feel free to include in your email if you identify as one or more.
- Please provide a content warning if material may be triggering. Thanks!